Chocolate makers using Madagascar cocoa
The three major Madagascar chocolate makers, Chocolaterie Robert, Chocolaterie Cinagra and Chocolaterie Colbert, all produce their chocolates using only Madagascar sourced cacao. Apart from these local Madagascar based producers, various chocolate makers in other countries also use Madagascan cocoa but which have been exported to their factory locations where their final Madagascar cocoa based chocolates are produced and packaged.
In cases where the producer have exported whole cocoa beans from Madagascar, as opposed to pre-processed and crushed cocoa, they qualify as “bean-to-bar” chocolate makers using Madagascar sourced cocoa. Also, some brands have been produced in Madagascar by either Cinagra or Chocolaterie Robert for export only.
The various brands using Madagascan cocoa, whether export only brands, bean-to-bar products or otherwise, not including the main three local Madagascar chocolate brands, are listed below:
- Patric Chocolate - a US-based micro, bean-to-bar, chocolate maker.
- Amano Artisan Chocolate - a US-based bean-to-bar chocolate factory making a 70% Malagasy cocoa bar.
- Amedei - an Italian-based chocolate maker producing a bar with 70% cocoa content.
- Coppeneur Chocolate - a German chocolate maker which has a small cocoa plantation on Nosy Be Island.
- Sambirano Madagascar - a 70% cocoa bar by the Italian chocolate maker Domori.
- Eilles Madagaskar - a 37% cocoa milk chocolate by German chocolate maker Eilles.
- Madécasse - a chocolate produced in Madagascar by Cinagra and exported to USA, Canada and Germany.
- Madagascar Noir - a 65% cocoa based chocolate with a light vanilla flavour, part Lindt's Excellence range.
- VAO VAO - a chocolate produced in Madagascar by Chocolaterie Robert and exported to the US.
- Sambirano - a 70% cocoa Madagascar bar from Rougue Chocolatier in the US.
- Madagaskar & Ambanja - a 46% cocoa milk chocolate and a 72% limited edition dark chocolate by J.D. Gross.
- Madanga - a 39% cocoa bar made by German chocolate maker Rausch Schokolade.
- Pierre Hermé Paris - a 75% Madagascar cocoa chocolate sold in France.
- Mangaro by Michel Cluizel is a 65% cocoa bar made in France with cocoa from the Mangaro plantation in the Sambirano Valley.
- Pralus - a 75% cocoa Madagascar bar sold in France.
- Thorntons - a 32% cocoa Madagascar bar.
- Åkesson's - a dark bar made with cacao grown on the Ambolikapiky Plantation in Sambirano.
A 72% cocoa limited edition “Ambanja” bar by J.D. Gross