Air Madagascar is Madagascar's national airline based in Antananarivo, the capital of Madagascar. The airline operates services to Europe, Asia and neighbouring Indian Ocean island destinations. It also operates an extensive domestic network. Its main base is Ivato International Airport, Antananarivo.
The airline was established in 1962 under the name "Madair", which shortly after was changed to "Air Madagascar". The founder of the airline were the state of Madagascar and Air France. Following a political crisis starting in the year 2000, the airline experienced a downturn in business and was finally restructured under the lead of Lufthansa Consulting GmbH. A complete rebranding in 2004 included a new corporate design and logo. The logo resembles the Ravinala palm tree, which is endemic to Madagascar and also the heraldic tree of Madagascar.
To passengers which choose Air Madagascar for their international inbound and return flights, the airline offers a 30% - 50% discount on domestic flights (except to/from Tulear). Those domestic flights are preferably booked before the trip, but can also be arranged in one of the domestic Air Madagascar offices (see list below). Furthermore, Air Madagascar also has a frequent flyer program named Namako.
In the odd case that a flight is cancelled, Air Madagascar takes great care of the stranded passengers by arranging taxi transfers to/from a hotel and providing meals, all at the expense of the airline. Usually the replacement flight will leave as early as possible on the next day.
Air Madagascar International Flights
Flights to France from Antananarivo to Paris, Marseille.
In 2016 Air Madagascar is offering a promotional fare from Paris to Tana and return for 746€ if the length of stay does not exceed 30 days.
Flights to Asia from Antananarivo to Thailand (Bangkok) and China (Guangzhou).
Air Madagascar Regional Flights
From Antananarivo to Mauritius, Réunion, Mayotte (Dzaoudzi), Comoros (Moroni), Kenya (Nairobi) and South Africa (Johannesburg).
Air Madagascar Domestic Flights
From Antananarivo to Antsiranana (Diego Suarez), Sambava, Antalaha, Maroantsetra, Sainte Marie (Nosy Boroha), Toamasina (Tamatave), Toalagnaro (Fort Dauphin), Toliara (Tulear), Morondava, Mahajanga (Majunga) and Nosy Be.
The map indicates domestic airports served by Air Madagascar. The airline changes the flight schedule twice a year (in March and October), so not all airports are open for flights during the entire year as well as additional airports are added to the list. For a detailed list of airports, see Madagascar Airports.
Air Madagascar Fleet
Airbus A340-300 (2)
Average cruising speed: 888km/h
Range with full load of passengers: 13.350km
Maximum payload: 43.500kg
Passenger configuration: 30F / 21C / 224Y
Boeing 737-300 (3)
Average cruising speed: 800km/h
Range with full load of passengers: 3.000km
Maximum payload: 14.800kg
Passenger configuration: 12C / 118Y
ATR 42 (2)
Average cruising speed: 440km/h
Range with full load of passengers: 1.389km
Maximum payload: 4.180kg
Passenger configuration: 49Y
ATR 72-500 (2)
Average cruising speed: 480km/h
Range with full load of passengers: 3.148km
Maximum payload: 7.100kg
Passenger configuration: 8C / 62Y
Twin otter (3)
Average cruising speed: 270km/h
Range with full load of passengers: 750km
Maximum payload: 1.850kg
Passenger configuration: 19Y
In the hold only.
Pedals moved to the inside, handlebar parallel to the frame.
Included in the hold allowance - Excess weight charged at the normal applicable rate.
To be indicated when booking.
Oversized piece of baggages
Laung haul flight: Excess dimensions 159 to 300 cm ==> 100 €
Laung haul flight: 75 €
Excess weight on each franchise allowed the play
Laung haul flight: 100 €
Excess baggage in the hold
The number of authorized baggage a passenger may take with him is fixed in advance with 1 to 3; but each company can define its own regulations.
a) The sum of the maximum dimensions of an Hold Luggage piece is : L + w + h = 158 cm.
For any total of the dimensions of the piece exceeding 158 cm up to 300 cm, a fee is applied: 30 € on the RI and RR and 100 € on the LC
b) The maximum allowed weight for an Hold Luggage piece on all MD Networks is:
10 or 20 or 23 or 30 kg for passengers cabin Economic and Intermediate class, and 32 kg for the cabin Business class. For excess weight of the piece of Luggage, see summary below, also tables and explanatory notes of each network
c) The maximum weight of a piece of Luggage Franchisee is 32 Kg. Any piece more than 32 kg each must be shipped as Cargo system
d) Any outsized Luggage, both in dimensions and weight, will be subject to a cumulative taxation, applicable on both dimensions and weight.
Beyond 140 cm and / or 5 kg, the passenger is returned at check required for sending in hold the cabin baggage piece outsized and payment of a flat rate supplement to the piece (see taxation Hold Baggage).
Air Madagascar Domestic Offices
31, Avenue de l'Indépendance - B.P. 437
Tel: +261 (0)20 22 222 22
Fax: +261 (0)20 22 337 60
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 22 442 22
The office is open from 8.30am till noon and from 2pm till 4am. A second reservations office, usuually with less waiting time, can be found in La City shopping centre, located in the Ivandry district of Antananarivo.
Antsiranana / Diego Suarez
5, Rue de Surcouf - B.P. 45
Tel: +261 (0)20 82 293 75
Fax: +261 (0)20 82 293 75
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 82 227 16
Mahajanga / Majunga
Avenue Gillot - B.P. 17
Tel: +261 (0)20 62 224 21 or +261 (0)20 62 235 65
Fax: +261 (0)20 62 293 75
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 62 222 59
Avenue Phillibert-Tsiranana - B.P. 105
Tel: +261 (0)20 95 521 01
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 95 520 63
Route de Dzamandzar-Ambonara - B.P. 112
Tel: +261 (0)20 86 613 60
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 86 613 13
Sainte Marie / Nosy Boroha
Igossa - Ambodifotatra
Tel: +261 (0)20 57 400 46
Tel: +261 (0)20 88 920 37
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 88 920 58
Taolagnaro / Fort Dauphin
Avenue du Maréchal-Foch - B.P. 97
Tel: +261 (0)20 92 211 22
Toamasina / Tamatave
Avenue de l'Indépendance - B.P. 154
Tel: +261 (0)20 53 326 98
Fax: +261 (0)20 53 338 49
Airport stopover: +261 (0)20 53 320 91
Toliara / Tulear
Rue Henri Martin - B.P. 325
Tel: +261 (0)20 94 415 85 or Tel: +261 (0)20 94 420 58
Aiport stopover: +261 (0)20 94 422 33
- Madagascar Airlines receives Air Operator Certificate - Air Data News
- 25-Apr-2023 07:00
- Madagascar Airlines expects to receive first E190-E2 in June - Air Data News
- 20-Mar-2023 07:00
- Air Madagascar is expected to operate an Embraer jet and a single ... - Air Data News
- 31-Oct-2022 07:00
- Madagascar Airlines announces leasing of three Embraer E190-E2 ... - Air Data News
- 08-Dec-2022 08:00
- Gov't halts plan to launch Air Madagascar successor - ch-aviation
- 20-Jun-2022 07:00
- Air Madagascar placed under court restructuring | News | Flight Global - Flightglobal
- 18-Oct-2021 07:00
- Air Austral bags temporary Madagascar capacity increase - ch-aviation
- 13-Dec-2022 08:00
- Air Madagascar's woes continue - eTurboNews | eTN
- 08-Apr-2016 07:00
- Madagascar: Severe air pollution caused by landfill fire near ... - Crisis24
- 06-Oct-2022 07:00
- Air Madagascar suspending flights to Johannesburg - eTurboNews | eTN
- 12-Dec-2019 08:00
- Air France increases services, unveils routes to Tanzania, Kenya, Madagascar - AeroTime
- 02-Dec-2022 08:00
- MADAGASCAR : Air Madagascar has stopped paying Meridiam - 06 ... - Africa Intelligence
- 06-Jul-2020 07:00
- Air Madagascar deal worsens with Air Austral, government comes for rescue - Logistics Update Africa
- 11-Nov-2019 08:00
- Air Madagascar removed from EU blacklist - Reuters.com
- 17-Jun-2016 07:00
- PICTURES: Air Madagascar uses Hi Fly A380 to cover A340 flights - Flightglobal
- 03-Jul-2019 07:00
- MADAGASCAR : Air Madagascar's planes nowhere to be seen - 04 ... - Africa Intelligence
- 04-Jun-2020 07:00
- Air Quality Monitor - US Embassy in Madagascar
- 03-Mar-2022 08:00
- Air Madagascar halts Johannesburg service - Logistics Update Africa
- 09-Dec-2019 08:00
- Air Mauritius terminates Air Madagascar interline agreement - ch-aviation
- 23-Dec-2019 08:00
- Airline Livery of the Week: Air Madagascar - Airline Reporter
- 06-Jun-2010 07:00
- More connections for customers as Air Seychelles and Air ... - Seychelles News Agency
- 05-Feb-2015 08:00
- Health Alert – Global Air Travel Policy - US Embassy in Madagascar
- 10-Mar-2022 22:18
- When will Madagascar: A Little Wild Season 8 Episode 1 air on Hulu and Peacock? Release date, plot, and more about the animated series - Sportskeeda
- 27-Jun-2022 07:00
- When will Madagascar: A Little Wild Season 7 air? Release date, plot and more about DreamWorks' animated series - Sportskeeda
- 03-Apr-2022 07:00
- Seychelles - Madagascar: New air service - eTurboNews | eTN
- 11-Sep-2014 07:00
- Air Seychelles suspends flights to Madagascar after plague outbreak - Seychelles News Agency
- 06-Oct-2017 07:00
- In Madagascar Test, Drone Delivers Medicine by Air - The New York Times
- 26-Nov-2016 08:00
- Seychelles and Madagascar eyeing twin destination marketing with ... - Seychelles News Agency
- 06-Feb-2015 08:00
- Air Madagascar Boeing 737-200 5R-MFB for FSX - Fly Away Simulation
- 19-Aug-2015 09:27
- Air Seychelles operating two flights to Madagascar for returning ... - Seychelles News Agency
- 10-Dec-2021 08:00
- Air Madagascar Boeing 737-300 for FSX - Fly Away Simulation
- 15-Aug-2015 02:34
- Madagascar Airlines : et si Air France s’impliquait ? - Air Journal
- 04-May-2022 07:00
- Air Madagascar photos
- Air Madagascar's company homepage.
- Facebook page Air Madagascar on facebook.
- Twitter Air Madagascar on twitter.
- Air Madagascar's in-flight magazine