Sambava is a town and district on the east coast of Madagascar and the capital of the SAVA region. Along with Antalaha and Andapa, Sambava is the centre of vanilla production and the source of most of the world's vanilla export.
Almost half of the population in the Sambava region live from farming and raising livestock. The most common agricultures are vanilla, coconut and rice farming.
Activities include a visit to a vanilla plantation and one of the many processing facilities to learn about traditional vanilla production, a guided tour of the Soavoanio coconut plantation, a visit to Antongompahitra and Bemanevika. Small boats leaves from behind Maison Ravelo/Tandramena at Antaimby and costs 1,000 Ar across the creek where motorcycle taxis are offered. This is a shortcut to reach Bemanevika and Bemarivo.
There are three main market places in different areas of Sambava with each of the market being extended in the mornings once a week: Antaimby on Tuesdays, Ambodisatrana on Fridays and Antanifotsy on Saturdays. Every Sunday from early afternoon close to Las Palmas Hotel there is a large beach party with several beach bars, small hand powered ferris wheels, gambling stalls, dance competitions etc. Every other Sunday there is Moraingy in Analamandrorofo along the road between Antainby and Antanifotsy.
A domestic airport is located approximately 2km from the town centre with flights connecting Antananarivo, Toamasina (Tamatave), Maroantsetra and Diego Suarez. Scheduled flights are operated by Tsaradia and Madagasikara Airways.
Transport to/from Sambava
- Scheduled flight connections are opereted by Madagasikara Airways and Air Madagascar.
- Samy Express Head Office - boat transfers to/from Diego Suarez (during rain season only).
Restaurants, cafes and bars
- O'Delice de Mily
- Chez Sophie
- Sunset Bar Ampandrozonana
- Gargotte Sylvia Sambava in the Ampandrozonana district
- Happy Sambava - pastries
- Le Capricorne - restaurant and event location
- Epi-Bar La Vanilla - bar, shop and restaurant
- Resto Mimi - popular with visitors to Marojejy
- Orchidea Beach II - popular with tourists and expats
- Carrefour - popular with vanilla traders
- Chez Orlance - restaurant and juice bar
- Gargotte Camila
- Le Baladin - restaurant, bar and night club
- Gargotte Ezaka - breakfast, lunch and dinner in the Antanifotsy district of Sambava
- Tasty Box - burgers, fries, coffee, cupcakes, donuts - opened in 2020 it is the first fast-food restaurant in Sambava
- La Rosace - simple roofed outdoors breakfast and lunch eatery in central Sambava
- Bar Bleue - outdoors dinner restaurant in Sambava centre
Hotels and restaurants
Tel: +261 (0) 20 889 2060
La Paillotte - Chez Jo (4 bungalows)
Tel: +261 (0)20 88 998 94 or +261 (0)32 21 221 21 (mobile)
Hotel l’Ambassadeur - Chez Zoé
Tel: +261 (0)32 0292745 or +261 (0)32 0211347
Tel: +261 032 0246621
Tel: +261 33 1457479 or cellphone: +261 (0)32 04572
Tel: +261 208892297 or +261 324012689
Hôtel la Romance de Jupiter
Tel (cellphone): +261 (0)32 0463389
Tel: +261 032 0263586
Hotel le Giroflier
Tel: +261 32 97 792 10
- Prulab - vanilla analysis laboratory.
- Tsara Lay - bespoke mosquito-net tailoring
- CLUE - Center for Learning and Understanding English
- Alliance française de Sambava - French alliance of Sambava
- Post Office
- Colis Express S.A. - courier service by land and air
- DHL Sambava
- Telma Sambava
- ProGym - well equipped fitness centre
- François' bike repairs
- Madabike rentals
- 3J Electronic - PC and parts store
- Zcom Sambava - printing service
- Photo SAVA - photographic prints and cameras
- KOM’SEC - sale and repair of IT equipment, PCs, laptops, etc.
- Soamazava supermarket
- Rambo - camping equipment store and more.
- Soavoanio - coconut plantation and producer of various coconut-based products
- Andron'ny vehivavy Sambava - Women's Day
- Duke Lemur Center SAVA Conservation - project dedicated to preserving the natural biodiversity of Madagascar
- RNA Sambava - Radio télévision Ny Antsika (Sambava)
Map of Sambava
- Ralph, English speaking tuktuk (Bajaj) driver: +261 (0)32 68 662 68
- Haja Rabearivelo tuktuk (Bajaj): +261 (0)32 61 052 53
- Hery's Taxi-brousse between Sambava and Vohemar: +261 (0)32 87 834 60
- Jimmy's Taxi-brousse between Sambava and Vohemar: +261 (0)32 40 200 21
- Sambava Airport
- 08-Oct-2021 07:00
- 23-Oct-2018 07:00
- 27-Oct-2020 07:00
- 15-Mar-2017 07:00
- 31-Mar-2018 07:00
- 25-Jun-2021 07:00
- 21-Jan-2019 08:00
- 05-Nov-2018 08:00
- 14-Sep-2020 07:00
- 30-Aug-2018 07:00
- 14-Mar-2020 07:00
- 16-Jun-2017 07:00
- 02-Dec-2017 09:41