Ivato International Airport
Ivato International Airport is the main airport of Madagascar, located about 16km from the centre of Antananarivo. Ivato connects with major flight routes in Europe, Asia and Africa.
Ivato's international and domestic terminal are located next to each within two inter-connected buildings. Scheduled domestic flights to most major Madagascar Airports are served by Air Madagascar. Additionally, various small airstrips exists around the country which are not served by Air Madagascar but which offer landing possibilities with private air charters.
A visa can be obtained directly on arrival at Ivato International Aiport.
Money exchange and Internet access
There is one currency exchange service by the exit inside the international terminal and another by the exit inside the domestic terminal. Alternatively, for good exchange rates in the city, go to NCH.
Good food can be found in both the domestic and International terminal but not inside the flight departure area after check-in. Alternatively, an outdoors restaurant can be found opposite the parking lot, close to the petrol station, as well as a restaurant and cafe directly at the petrol station.
For those with three or more hours between connecting flights, a visit to the Croc Farm in a park on the other side of the runway is recommended. There is a good restaurant, which even has crocodile burgers on the menu! Alternatively, for a somewhat more authentic Malagasy hotely experience, stop by Mitsinjo Box, shortly before the road turns left into Croc Farm. A taxi to Croc Farm takes between 10 and 15 minutes.
A highly recommended lunch and dinner restaurant at the first cross road about 1km from Ivato in the direction of Tana is Mo Café. Mo Cafe is also a popular bar during evenings.
Local area map
- Croc Farm
- La Ferme d'Ivato
- Domaine du Lac
- Ivato Airport Viewpoint
- Ivato Conference Center
- Assist Aviation
- Ravinala Airports
- www.adema.mg/index.php?page=aeroport_antananarivo Aeroports de Madagascar
Transport to/from the airport
ADEMA shuttle bus - leaves to/from Antananarivo to coincide with all local and International flight departures and arrivals. Good seating/luggage space. The best value and safest travel option.
- Local bus - Taxi-brousse leaves from outside the airport area. The lowest price and slowest option, stopping in many places until finally reaching a central market place in the capital, not recommended for late night arrivals while carrying luggage and other valuables!
- Taxi - the quickest but priciest option.
- 5-6 hours trek trough the countryside starting at Ambohimanga Rova to Ivato International Airport
- View all Ivato International Airport photos
- Landing at Ivato International Airport - Cockpit View